I'm going to make Tequila Sunrise Sorbet this week... so keep an eye out for that!
And now, on to the good stuff... cashew brittle. JALAPENO cashew brittle. make it. eat it. love it.
I won't lie, sometimes making candy is scary. Sugar is not scary, but 300 degree sugar is super scary. However, face your fears friends, because you won't regret it.
I got this recipe from this great blog I found. So be sure to check it out!
What you'll need:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup
- ½ cup water
- (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3 cups cashews
- 3 medium jalapeno peppers
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
What you'll need to do:
- Butter a large baking sheet (I used a silpat, but do what you do) .
- Gather and portion all of your ingredients.
- Slice the peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds.
- Place sugar, corn syrup, water, and pepper halves in a large pot over medium heat.
- Attach the thermometer to the side.
- When mixture comes to a boil (about 5 minutes), add in butter. Stir occasionally.
- When mixture reaches 230 (about 15 minutes) degrees remove peppers and begin stirring frequently.
- Turn heat down slightly to medium low.
- When mixture reaches 275 degrees (about 20 minutes) add cashews and stir constantly.
- Turn heat back up to medium.
- When mixture reaches 300 degrees (about 10 minutes) remove from heat and stir in baking soda.
- Pour onto baking sheet and spread out with two forks while candy is still hot.
- Place sheet on wire cooling rack and do not touch until it is cool.
- Invert baking sheet and snap brittle into pieces.
- Store in an airtight container.